Many couples only dream of marrying in France, the most romantic country on earth, but you are actually doing it! Here are some tips for planning your wedding, whether it be in Paris or the rolling hills of Provence.
- Decide on the type of wedding you want: Before you start planning, decide on the type of wedding you want. Do you want a big, formal wedding or a small, intimate one? Do you want a religious or a secular ceremony? Knowing what you want will help you narrow down your options.
- Choose a location: France offers a wide range of beautiful locations to hold your wedding. From the French Riveria Chateau de la Chevre d’Or (Eze-Village) to the medieval villages of Dordogne: The Domaine d’Essendiéras, there are plenty of options to choose from. Consider the season, accessibility, and your guests’ needs when selecting your location. Does anyone in your family require assistance due to a disability? Rolling across untamed land may not be the best choice in that instance.
- Research legal requirements: Whatever your home country is, research the legal requirements for getting married in France, as they are complicated for some people. You need to provide certain documents, such as a birth certificate and a certificate of “celibacy” or non-marriage. You will have to complete some paperwork, so plan accordingly. If you’re a same-sex couple, you can legally marry in France. If you don’t want to cut through red tape, simply elope at home and have your wedding celebration in France. You will need to bring your marriage certificate with you to prove you are married, but the bonus is you get to wear a pretty dress or suit twice!
- Hire an event planner: An absolute must! A wedding planner such as Lucy Till French Weddings can help you navigate the intricacies of planning a wedding in France. They can help you with everything from finding a venue to coordinating with vendors and handling logistics on the day of the wedding. They will keep you calm and carefree so that your wedding is as good as it gets!
- Choose vendors carefully: Take the time to research and choose vendors carefully and get referrals from trusted sources. Look for recommendations, read reviews, and check references. It’s important to find vendors who understand your vision and can help bring it to life. Build a Pinterest board to share with them so that they may share your creativity.
- Consider cultural differences: Keep in mind that France has its own unique cultural traditions and customs. It’s important to respect these traditions, but you can also incorporate your own cultural traditions into the wedding. For instance, in France, there is first a civil ceremony before the wedding celebration, which is why we suggest possibly eloping before traveling to France.
- Plan for transportation: France is known for its traffic and congestion, and lots of roundabouts, so it’s important to plan for transportation. Consider hiring a private car for yourselves and arranging for a bus to transport your guests to and from the venue.
- Incorporate French cuisine: French cuisine is world-renowned, so be sure to incorporate it into your wedding menu. Consider serving traditional French dishes, such as escargots, coq au vin, and macarons; but don’t forget the Champagne! Many couples only dream of marrying in France–for the food and drink alone!
- Order your vow books and keepsake box in advance. Wedding Story Writer has multiple designs specifically for destination weddings in France that come in more colors and fabrics than you can imagine. You may choose to have a custom design, such as a monogram or crest for your vow books and box, or choose from our Signature Collection.
- Have your wedding story written! You’re in France. Your wedding story is going to be off the charts, so why not take the plunge and hire Wedding Story Writer for the task? You will have a timeless hand-bound book in the end, full of beautiful illustrations of your wedding day. It’s the perfect souvenir!
Marrying in France can be a romantic and unforgettable experience, and if you plan it using professional wedding vendors it will also be a stress-free, magical day!